BBQ Thermostat Project

I recently started an electronics hacking project to build a thermostat for my Weber Smokey Mountain. You can find details at Hackaday.io, but if you’ve been here long enough you know that I don’t trust other sites to continue to exist. (It’s why I copy my book reviews over from Good Reads). As of right […]

My First Pull Request to a project I don’t own!

When MakeMKV added a new requirement for ccextractor, allowing it to grab subtitles that are encoded on the DVD or Blueray as Closed Captioning instead of subtitles, there wasn’t a package available for Fedora. (There is now, but at the time where wasn’t) So I wanted to make an RPM that I could host on […]

Addendum to my KDevelop Post

A couple days ago, I wrote about giving KDevelop another look and posted it to reddit’s r/kde. In my post, I’d said it was annoying to have to configure the color schemas per file. Someone commented on the subreddit that if you use the View->Schema menus it’s per file while if you go into Settings->KDevelop […]

Moving to KDevelop for my larger Python Projects

When I first started programming it was just at the prompt of my Tandy computer. Then it was in the QBasic text editor on the IBM computers at school. But when I started programming again with “real” languages, I ended up going with Emacs. Although I was first annoyed at the way commands like save […]

New Release of my Extra Life Donations Tracker Software

If you follow the blog, you remember I’ve been working on a GUI for the donation tracker. Part of making that work involved changing the code to be object oriented. Also, it required moving the user-defined configs to be moved out of the main code. I’ve done that and finally tested that it works (I […]

My Extra Life Donation Tracker gets a GUI Part 1

Three years ago I created ELDonationTracker to use the Extra Life API to provide donation alerts on my screen while I’m streaming or recording games. About a year and a half ago, I actually had to start using it because the previous donation tracker I’d been using stopped being maintained. Since then I’ve been steadily […]

Exploring btrfs for backups Part 6: Backup Drives and changing RAID levels VM

Hard drives are relatively cheap, especially nowadays. But I still want to stay within my budget as I setup my backups and system redundancies. So, ideally, for my backup RAID I’d take advantage of btrs’ ability to change RAID types on the fly and start off with one drive. Then I’d add another and go […]

Exploring btrfs for backups Part 5: RAID1 on the Main Disks in the VM

So, back when I started this project, I laid out that one of the reasons I wanted to use btrfs on my home directory (don’t think it’s ready for / just yet) is that with RAID1, btrfs is self-healing. Obviously, magic can’t be done, but a checksum is stored as part of the data’s metadata […]

Exploring btrfs for backups Part 4: Weekly Culls and Unit Testing

Back in August I finally had some time to do some things I’d been wanting to do with my Snap-in-Time btrfs program for a while now. First of all, I finally added the weekly code. So now my snapshots are cleaned up every three days and then every other week. Next on the docket is […]

Exploring btrfs for backups Part 3: The Script in Practice

Night of the second day: # btrfs sub list /home ID 275 gen 3201 top level 5 path home ID 1021 gen 3193 top level 275 path .snapshots ID 1023 gen 1653 top level 275 path .snapshots/2014-03-13-2146 ID 1024 gen 1697 top level 275 path .snapshots/2014-03-13-2210 ID 1025 gen 1775 top level 275 path .snapshots/2014-03-13-2300 […]

Exploring btrfs for backups Part 2: Installing on My /Home Directory and using my new Python Script

I got my new hard drive that would replace my old, aging /home hard drive. As you read in part 1, I wanted to put btrfs on it. This is my journey to get it up and running. Plugged it into my hard drive toaster and ran gparted. Because of the peculiarities of btrfs and […]

My Second Ever Useful GUI Program

A while ago I wrote about my first ever useful GUI program.  And in one of the series of posts that followed I explained that the reason I hadn’t made a useful GUI program before now is because all the typical stuff has already been made over and over.  We don’t need any more tetris […]